IGT Toscana
100% Merlot


Casalferro is a selection of Merlot grapes coming from three different vineyards: Vigna Casalferro, Vigna Pecchierino, and Vigna Sodacci.

Vigna Casalferro:  Arenarie (sand and rocks), Alberese (limestone).
Vigna Pecchierino: Alberese (limestone).
Vigna Sodacci: Arenarie (sand and rocks).


The Merlot grapes were hand-picked starting from September 11 from Casalferro vineyard, on September 13 from Sodacci vineyard and, finally, on September 18 from Pecchierino vineyard.


Fermentation in stainless steel tanks at a controlled temperature of 24°C-27°C, with 14-18 days of skin contact.


21 months in tonneaux and barriques of which 30% are new oak and the remaining 70% are of second and third passage.


22 April 2022.


Casalferro  is a selection of Merlot grapes coming from three different vineyards:Vigna Casalferro, Vigna Pecchierino and Vigna Sodacci.

Vigna Casalferro
Surface area: 5 ha | Planted in: 1993 | Altitude: 400 m.a.s.l.
Exposure: South | Soil: Arenarie (sand and rocks), Alberese (limestone).

Vigna Pecchierino
Surface: 3,25 ha | Planted in: 2001|Altitude 400 m.a.s.l.
Exposure: Northwest | Soil: Alberese (limestone.)

Vigna Sodacci
Surface: 4,22 ha ! Planted in: 2003 | Altitude: 500 m.a.s.l.
Exposure: South | Soil: Arenarie (sand and rocks).

The training system for the three vineyards is spurred cordon. The rootstock is 181. The average planting density is 5.500 – 6.600 plants/ha.
Growing Season

The 2018-2019 vintage followed yet another seasonal trend of its own. The autumn featured mild temperatures and slightly less rain than usual in that period of the year. Winter started off quite mild however January came with temperatures below zero and heavy snowfall at the end of that month. Spring began with rising temperatures, but in May these plummeted with lows below 7-8°C accompanied by daily rains. From early June, a fairly dry and warm period began, with maximum temperatures often above 35°C, but interspersed occasionally by short and intense rains.


Technical Info

Alcohol: 14.50% vol.            |Total acidity: 5.92 g/l
pH: 3.28                                 |Net dry extract: 29.63 g/l
Total Polyphenols (in Gallic acid): 2318 mg/l